Treats help strengthen the special bond between the pet and pet parent. Defining boundaries while training your pet is always helpful. Food is a great motivator for your pet. It is an excellent tool to use while training him, supporting positive behavior. Apart from training, treats also aid your pet’s overall wellness and health. Nutritious treats help in maintaining a healthy digestive system, joints, coat, skin and dental health.
When and how you give treats to your pet is very important. Remember to not go overboard with pet treats. Here are a few tips that will make treat training easier for you.
When to Give Out Treats:
- Use treats to reinforce a calm, submissive state in your pet. Treats will help your pet distinguish good and bad behavior.
- The way you give out the treat determines your pet’s behavior. Hold the treat in your hand and wait for a second for your pet to jump at the treat. Your body language plays a very important role in reinforcing positive behavior.
- Use treats as a form of reward during your pet’s training process. Rewards help quicken training and motivate pets to learn more. Reward your pet every four out of five times initially and lessen the duration slowly.
How Much is Enough?
- Don’t overdo the quantity of treats. Give treats keeping in mind the age and size of your pet. Most treats come with clear instructions on them.
- It is important to remember that treats do not make up for your pet’s entire diet. They are known as complementary pet foods. Treats only comprise 10% of his diet and shouldn’t affect your pet’s daily meals and calorie intake as it could lead to obesity.
- Give the treat in between meals to avoid overeating. Monitor the quantity of treats and make sure your pet isn’t dependent on the treat completely.
Treats are a form of affection from your end. They help make your pet happy and healthy. But, it shouldn’t interfere with your pet’s training or day-to-day activity. You need to be consistent with when and how you give treats. Treats containing herb-based ingredients aid digestion, boost your pet’s immunity, and improve your pet’s overall wellness.